Star Wars Posts:

Obsessive ‘Star Wars’ Fans Are Creating a ‘Despecialized Edition’ to Undo George Lucas’s Alterations

In case you couldn't tell from the 200 posts we did on Episode VII casting rumors, this whole Star Wars thing is kind of a big deal. In fact, you might say people obsess over it.

That being said, when it comes to Star Wars, there are obsessions, and then there are OBSESSIONS. It's one thing to read every casting rumor, but quite another to completely remaster the original trilogy.

Oh yes. Remaster the original trilogy.

As you probably know, about 30 different editions of Star Wars have been released over the last 15 years, and every time George Lucas has gone back and made tweaks and changes. In each case, Lucas has justified these alterations by saying he only does the stuff he originally wanted to do, but could not because of technological limitations. But hardcore fans don't want to hear any excuses. They like the original trilogy the way they first saw it, and in their eyes Lucas is just messing with perfection.

Still, they wouldn't even mind so much if they could still go back and watch the original, unaltered trilogy. And earlier this week there were rumors that such an edition was going to be released on BluRay. But Disney put an end to that pretty quickly. So Star Wars nerds are left with just two options: dig the old VCR out of their parents' basements and watch the trilogy in brilliant 25p, or just create a NEW old (but completely remastered) Star Wars of their own.

Well, one group of obsessed fans decided on option B. They've been painstakingly piecing together a version of Episode IV that's as close to the original as possible. And they call it the "Despecialized Edition."

Take a look:

Now that's a labor of love. Passionate, obsessive, nerdy love.

[via MTV]

Harrison Ford Is All Better Now, So Filming of ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’ Will Resume This Month

As you probably know, Harrison Ford broke his leg on the set of Star Wars: Episode VII back in June. For a while J.J. Abrams and company fed us a line of bull about how production would totally stay on schedule once they made a few minor tweaks. Earlier this month, however, the inevitable happened. The production finally succumbed to Han Solo's injury and went on a two-week hiatus. (You probably noticed when the earth stopped spinning and the sky turned crimson red.)

Well, on Monday Harrison Ford was out strutting his stuff on the red carpet at the premier of Expendables 3, and while the rest of the film's stars were using canes and walkers ('cause they're all so old), Indiana Jones was walking around all fit and limber and ready to go. Now The Hollywood Reporter is saying a source told them that  J.J. and the gang will resume filming in London later this month.

Will Ford be joining them right away? That remains unclear. But it won't be too long, and the main takeaway here is that Star Wars fans can take a big sigh of relief. Episode VII will probably still hit theaters December 18, 2015.

 

J.J. Abrams Casually Reveals X-Wing Fighter in Video Seeking Charitable Donations for UNICEF

The man is playing us like a fiddle

I don't know exactly when Star Wars 7 director J.J. Abrams decided to use set reveals to raise money for charity, but if I had to guess I'd say it was some time after people went totally apeshit for those "leaked" pics of the Millennium Falcon back in June. Abrams probably saw the way people reacted and asked, "How can I take this weird boner grown men have for this movie franchise and use it to do something good?"

The solution he came up with is pretty brilliant. Make a video asking people to donate money to "Force for Change," a charitable effort trying to raise money for UNICEF's Innovation Labs. In that video slowly pan out to reveal an entire X-Wing Fighter. The video will spread like wildfire, because the internet is run by geeks and geeks love this stuff. Then, when people watch the video and hear how donating could win them a role as an extra in the film, or possibly an advanced screening for 20 of their closest friends, "Force for Change" will raise lots of money.

Well done, J.J. Abrams. Well done.

‘Star Wars: Episode VIII’ to Be Written and Directed by Rian Johnson

I think it's safe to say that, when Disney announced they were making another Star Wars trilogy and that J.J. Abrams was set to helm Episode VII, we all assumed he would also be directing VIII and IX as well. However, on Friday we learned that will not be the case. According to Deadline, Looper writer/director Rian Johnson will write the script for Star Wars: Episode VIII for sure and probably Star Wars: Episode IX.

That's pretty huge news. To be sure, chances are that this was Disney's (and Abrams's) plan all along, and you'd have to think Abrams will have some role going forward, either as a script collaborator or as executive producer. It's just that this is a strange time for this news to break. Abrams only recently began filming Episode VII, and though we have every reason to believe the end product will be excellent, it still seems like a bit of a gamble to sign a new director to wrap up the new trilogy this early.

Then again, it's become obvious in recent weeks that the folks running the show at Disney are betting big on the next generation of Hollywood filmmakers. It's already been officially confirmed that Gozilla director Gareth Edwards will helm one of the highly anticipated Star Wars spinoffs, and it's believed Chronicle director Josh Trank will helm another. So the choice of Rian Johnson to take the baton from Abrams isn't exactly shocking in context.

That being said, taking over a franchise as iconic as Star Wars would be enough to cause many a young filmmaker to hyperventilate. And the significance was definitely not lost on Johnson, who tweeted this obvious reference to his new gig after news broke on Friday:

Yeah, we feel you, Rian.

New Rumors About the Bad Guys in ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’ Are Fantastic

We may know the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII but, with the exception of the old-timers coming back from the original trilogy, so far we have had few clues as to which actors are playing what characters, or even what characters there are to play.

Today, however, there are some pretty sweet rumors coming out of Pinewood Studios outside London. According to makingstarwars.net, individuals who work on the set of the new film are saying the villains of the Episode VII are being called "Jedi Hunters." Basically, these are evildoers who have been handed the task of exterminating the Jedi and resurrecting the Sith—which supposedly will happen in Episode VIII. They wear all black, they carry light sabres, they have their own private stock of stormtroopers who wear black and chrome armour, and apparently a "New Republic" was never established after the death of the Emperor because Luke Skywalker has been too busy fighting these badasses.

As for who is playing the Jedi Hunters, apparently it's Lupita Nyong’oAdam Driver, and David Oyelowo.

Of course, all of this could prove to be untrue, so you shouldn't get too excited. But if it is true, it would be pretty awesome, right?

 

Harrison Ford May Be Out Eight Weeks, But ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’ Will Stay on Schedule

When word spread that Harrison Ford had broken his ankle on the set of Star Wars: Episode VII last week, my initial thought was, "gosh, I hope they don't have to put him down!"

However, once I remembered that Harrison Ford is not a race horse, my second thought was, "hmm, could this possibly affect the release date of the film?"

Well, according to an inside source who spoke to the Mirror, the injury is pretty severe and will keep Ford the Star Wars disabled list for eight long weeks. However, his absence shouldn't derail the entire production.

Says the source:

The initial day or two after the accident, it was hard to move things around, but now we have had more time we can juggle things, bring some scenes forward and push others back. There are lots of other actors in the movie, so it is not a disaster. We are still confident the film can stay on schedule.

So that's good news. Let's just hope they fix the malfunctioning Millennium Falcon door that caused Ford's injury before they resume filming. We can't afford to lose Peter Mayhew, too.

[Via]

J.J. Abrams Responds to Leaked Millennium Falcon Pics with a Wink to Star Wars Nerds

Everyone knows Star Wars: Episode VII director J.J. Abrams likes to keep the details of his movies under wraps. It's all part of his "mystery box" philosophy of storytelling which, in a nutshell, holds that the best way to instill hope and wonder in a moviegoer is tease them with little bits of info while keeping them in the dark for as long as possible. (See Cloverfield, Super 8, Lost, and of course Star Trek: Into Darkness.)

For this reason, it's got to be pretty frustrating for J.J. when somebody leaks a bunch of photos from the set of one of his movies, revealing a pretty huge detail—like this week, when the world learned that they're building a Millennium Falcon for Star Wars: Episode VII. Sure, he kept his official response to the leak pretty light-hearted:

See? That's one of the hologram chess boards you see in the Falcon in Star Wars: Episode IV, the message being something like, "yeah, no shit the Millennium Falcon is in the movie!"

But you know he actually does wish the photos hadn't gotten out. It's not that he wasn't going to reveal the info to moviegoers eventually. We weren't all going to show up at midnight screenings of Episode VII in a couple of years and be like, whoa it's the Millennium Falcon! It's just that Abrams's entire schtick is revealing every piece of information precisely at precisely the right time. And if he wasn't the one who leaked the photos, then it wasn't the right time.

Of course, if he was one who leaked the photos...well, that's genius.