TV & FILM
brian-mcgee - August 23, 2018
Like any great behind the scenes drama, there are sure to be two or three sides to every story. One of the things that really keeps you going in this business is the promise that however dirty today's dirt is, something even dirtier is in the pipeline.
Yesterday's news that director Danny Boyle has vacated the director's chair for the upcoming 25th James Bond film has now given way to the first side of the story. UK's Telegraph has published a report about not only the producers' desire to see Boyle gone, but also Daniel Craig's...
...one industry source told the Telegraph the split was due to a fall out over whether to cast Tomasz Kot as the lead villain. The 41-year-old Polish actor... was described as a "left-field" decision for a Bond enemy.
"Craig has a big say in all the casting decisions. None of the Bond girls have been chosen without his say so," the source said.
"It was telling the producers put his [Craig's] name on their release saying that Boyle had been sacked," the source said.
Ooooo, tension between the star and the director, I love it! But that wasn't the only reason. Apparently legacy producer Barbara Broccoli wasn't pleased that Danny Boyle wanted a page one rewrite done on the script...
Boyle's insistence on bringing an entirely new team, including his established writing partner John Hodge, infuriated Bond producer Barbara Broccoli, another industry source told the Telegraph.
It is unclear whether producers will now stick to Boyle's controversial script, written by Hodge, or revert to the version by Purvis and Wade, thought to be more typical for a Bond film.
There's a lot of meat in here to chew on, and I'm sure this won't be the last we'll be hearing about this sordid tale. It's sure to come up the next time Boyle makes a movie, and again when Bond 25 gets released which, friendly reminder, is in about 14 months.
Please log in again. The login page will open in a new tab. After logging in you can close it and return to this page.