There are obviously a great many people out there who would love it if director J.J. Abrams could somehow recapture the magic of the original Star Wars trilogy in Episode VII. However, many of us also recognize that going backwards is impossible. So, if nothing else, we’d settle for a Star Wars film devoid of intergalactic bureaucracies, stiff dialogue, and characters like you-know-who.
That’s something Abrams might be able to deliver. On Saturday, Abrams was at the Produced By Conference, and here’s what he had to say about the overall approach he plans to take with the new Star Wars:
It is so massive and so important to people. I think the key to moving forward on something like this is honoring but not revering what came before. There’s that deep feeling of infinite possibilities that I think was the ultimate thing I thought when I first saw Star Wars which I would—and probably will—give my left arm to try and come close to again.
Yeah, it sounds to me like Star Wars is in good hands.
Of course, there is one old Star Wars tradition that Abrams is going forced to honor: filming in London. The deal to film Episode VII in London like all the other instalments of the Star Wars franchise was in place before Abrams agreed to take the project on. So, despite the fact that he would prefer to shoot the film in Hollywood, Abrams will be packing up the fam and moving to the UK in January 2014, when filming is scheduled to begin.
This might be the biggest waste of time and money I’ve ever seen. And I’m in love with it.
The fine folks at Lego created a life-sized replica of an X-Wing Fighter from Star Wars, complete with a R2 Unit. The ship weighs 46,000 pounds, and contains 5.3 million Lego bricks. It took 32 people a combined total of 17,000 hours to put this together, because using that time and energy to fight poverty would have been boring.
This monument to Geekdom is now sitting in Times Square where it’s being used to promote Cartoon Network’s new series The Yoda Chronicles, which premieres next Wednesday. Next week, it will be packed up and shipped to LEGOLAND near San Diego, where it will be on display for the next year. Personally, I’ll hold out on visiting LEGOLAND until they build a life-sized Star Destroyer. (Source)
Long has been the theory that George Lucas is actually a terrible filmmaker and that Star Wars Episode IV as was a fluke that was quickly corrected by hiring additional writers and new directors for the second two original trilogy flicks. There’s no greater evidence to support this idea than the last three movies Lucas wrote and directed on his own, or the story he dreamed up for the last Indiana Jones. So then it should also come as no surprise that his original draft of Star Wars, originally titled The Star Wars: The Adventures of the Starkiller is kind of crazy and weird and probably was altered after notes from some of his more competent, famous filmmaking friends.
Luckily, that original was never filmed (though you can read the script here), but it will finally be realized in comic book form in the Dark Horse adaptation of The Star Wars, complete with old, aged Luke Skywalker and lizard-fied Han Solo. The 8-issue comic book will begin in September and Entertainment Weekly was able to grab some early art courtesy of Dark Horse which can be viewed above and below.
Okay, let’s see if we’ve got this figured out. First a Disney source claimed that Harrison Ford was confirmed to return as Han Solo. Ford had earlier said that he’d be interested in the idea. Then Lucas gave an interview to Businessweek where he let the cat out of the bag that he’d already approached the three main characters from the original trilogy for the new sequel. But now, while out looking pissed off for having to be talking to reporters, Harrison Ford finally opened up about the status of his casting and that of his two much, much lesser necessary co-stars.
Ford told WGNTV (yes, them) , ‘I think it’s almost true…I’m looking forward to it….It’s not in the bag but I think it’s happening.’ Ford, who will be 73 if Episode VII is in fact released in 2015, is finally starting to age a bit but hardly his actual age (the guy pulled off 45 for like fifteen years). So while Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher are pushing the boundaries of embarrassing, Ford could easily pick up where he left Han Solo 30 years ago.
Businessweek just published an interesting article that went through all the details and nuances that led to Disney buying Lucasfilm. And coming off seemingly bitter for some reason, George Lucas is quoted describing the deals made with the original three main actors from the original trilogy:
Asked whether members of the original Star Wars cast will appear in Episode VII and if he called them before the deal closed to keep them informed, Lucas says, “We had already signed Mark and Carrie and Harrison-or we were pretty much in final stages of negotiation. So I called them to say, ‘Look, this is what’s going on.’ ” He pauses. “Maybe I’m not supposed to say that. I think they want to announce that with some big whoop-de-do, but we were negotiating with them.” Then he adds: “I won’t say whether the negotiations were successful or not.”
Even though just this morning, Carrie Fisher’s reps waved off her assertion that she was confirmed to be returning as Princess Leia as nothing but a joke, it seems like she’d already long been in near-confirmed talks to come back. The same goes for Harrison Ford, whose supposed return was only confirmed about three weeks ago, even though it seems like he was ready to come on board back in 2012. And let’s not even forget about Mark Hamill’s back-and-forth confirmation (although like most things to do with Mark Hamill, you probably did anyway). Read more… »
It seems like only yesterday we reported that Carrie Fisher gave an interview in which she said that she was definitely returning as Princess Leia in Star Wars Episode VII. Oh, wait, that was yesterday. Okay. And now, the actress’s reps are already backtracking on her claim, telling CNN that Fisher ‘was joking…Nothing has been announced.’ Haha, high-larious joke, Carrie. I see you’ve kept that wit of yours after all these years.
Meanwhile, whether or not, Fisher can get her shit together in time to don the gold bikini, Bob Iger, CEO of Diseny, confirmed to the company’s shareholders earlier this week that the House of Mouse is definitely developing ‘some standalone movies’ to take place within the Star Wars universe. I of course am still holding out hope for a Salacious B. Crumb flick. Fingers cross.
Who are the Stunt People? I don’t know. They’re a bunch of guys who make stunt-laden videos. And while that normally wouldn’t do it for me, their last video is perhaps one of the greatest fan-made Star Wars videos I’ve seen in recent memory. Homemade lightsaber videos are a dime a dozen on Youtube and most of the time it’s a bunch of A/V kids with way too much time on their and way awful computer animation skills. Not to mention they handle the lightsaber like they were fapping off for the first time and were doing it southpaw when they’re clearly a rightie.
Which is why this first-person Darth Vader lightsaber duel is pretty damn amazing. And not only that, but as you watch, you’ll see the Jedi he’s facing do something so friggin’ obvious to defend himself from Vader, it’s amazing that it never happened in the actual films.