bill-swift - January 10, 2013
Apparently every director in Hollywood has been asked to direct the next Star Wars movie and they've all answered with a resounding 'no.' Guillermo Del Toro is only the latest director whose big announcement concerning Episode VIIyesterday was only to say that he doesn't want to the job. Having also famously walked away from The Hobbit franchise, Del Toro told The wrap that Disney's offer was 'very flattering. It was just a phone call, it didn't go past that, it was very nice to be asked, but believe it or not, I'm busy enough.'
Del Toro's rejection comes on the heels of Steven Spielberg, Brad Bird and JJ Abrams, who recently said he turned down an offer late last year to direct due to his loyalties to the Star Trek franchise and that he'd 'rather be in the audience not knowing what was coming, rather than being involved in the minutiae of making them.' I understand the trepidation of taking the reigns of a juggernaut like Star Wars. But don't these guys know that even if they just filmed themselves doing shadow puppets against a wall, it would still have more energy and humanity than any of the last three films? There's nowhere to go but up, fellas.
So it seems that Matthew Vaughn is still the front-runner to tackle the first film in the trilogy based off a script from Toy Story 3-scribe Michael Arndt. But it makes you think: Clearly Disney didn't have that much confidence in Vaughn to begin with if they went through the Hollywood director phonebook with one rejection to another until they got to the V's. So hopefully if he's still the one to sit behind-the-camera, he'll bring in a Layer Cake and not a Stardust.
Relive the holidays with the Star Wars family
Please log in again. The login page will open in a new tab. After logging in you can close it and return to this page.