Movies

Matt Damon Reportedly in Talks to Star in New ‘Bourne’ Film

After The Bourne Ultimatum came out in 2007, Matt Damon famously said that if he did another Bourne movie they'd have to call it The Bourne Redundancy.

Let's hope nobody at Universal holds him to that now that he and director Paul Greengrass are plotting their return to the spy thriller franchise.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, talks between Universal, Damon, and Greengrass are in the very early stages. However, the idea is that Greengrass, who directed the second and third instalments of what was a triology, will write and direct this time around. Meanwhile, Damon will handle the shooting, stabbing, and hand-to-hand combat.

If everything pans out, it's believed the sequel to the Jeremy Renner spinoff, Bourne Legacy, would get bumped from its supposed July 2016 release date in favor of Damon and company. Right now it's not know whether that would be a temporary bump or a permanent bump. But my guess is that, if the new Damon-led Bourne flick performs well at the box office—and it will—the bump could be permanent.

It's a good thing Renner has that little Avengers franchise to fall back on.

Thor’s Brother Loki to Star in ‘King Kong’ Spinoff Called ‘Skull Island’

Right now Tom Hiddleston is getting ready to play legendary country crooner Hank Williams in an upcoming biopic called I Saw the Light. However, after that—or possibly after playing Loki again in another Marvel picture, because seriously, we all know it's gonna happen—he'll star in Skull Island for Legendary Pictures. And if Skull Island sounds like a King Kong spinoff, that's because it is a King Kong spinoff.

Legendary announced Skull Island at Comic-Con back in July, but back then there no director and no star. Now, in addition to the Hiddleston announcement, we know Jordan Vogt-Rogerts (The Kings of Summer) will direct, while Max Borenstein (Godzilla) while pen the script.

Of course, King Kong, as you may know, is a Universal property. However, last year Legendary signed a five-year deal with Universal to market, co-finance, and distribute their movies. So that's how legendary got their hands on this one, which will take an in-depth look at mysterious island that was home to King Kong and a bunch of dinosaurs.

[via EW]

 

 

The First Official Trailer for ‘The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1′ Is Finally Here, So Watch It Already

Watch Trailer

I'm not going to try to explain everything that is going on in the first official trailer for Mockingjay – Part 1. For starters, it's just too hard explain this dystopian future in the limited space I have here. And more importantly, I don't want to ruin anything for people who have not seen (or read) the previous two instalments in the Hunger Games franchise, because I have a hunch that, after they've seen this trailer, they will want to watch the first two movies.

What I will say is that, given how Catching Fire raked in a whopping $864.6 million worldwide with just a $140 million budget, I'm surprised Lionsgate is only splitting the third and final book of the original trilogy into two parts. It's so unambitious. If it were me, I'd put Zeno's dichotomy paradox to the test and keep dividing the last instalment in half, stretching it out forever.

Then again, maybe Lionsgate is just hoping Suzanne Collins will eventually add to the Hunger Games universe. Everybody loves a good prequel, right?

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1 hits theaters November 21, 2014.

Andrew Garfield Says It Is Sony’s Fault ‘Amazing Spider-Man 2′ Sucked

Regular, everyday movie goers liked The Amazing Spider-Man 2 well enough. It's got a solid 7/10 on IMDB and 4½ stars on Fandango. More importantly, it raked in $203 million at the domestic box office and $708 million worldwide, while costing "just" $200 million to make. However, critics were unimpressed with the film, citing a choppy storyline that tried to do too much. So The Amazing Spider-Man 2 got just a 53% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 53 on Metacritic.

But why do I bring all this up now, when the movie came out four months ago? Because in a recent interview with The Daily Beast, Andrew Garfield basically said, yeah, the movie kinda sucked, and it's all the studio's fault:

It’s interesting. I read a lot of the reactions from people and I had to stop because I could feel I was getting away from how I actually felt about it. For me, I read the script that Alex [Kurtzman] and Bob [Orci] wrote, and I genuinely loved it. There was this thread running through it. I think what happened was, through the pre-production, production, and post-production, when you have something that works as a whole, and then you start removing portions of it—because there was even more of it than was in the final cut, and everything was related. Once you start removing things and saying, “No, that doesn’t work,” then the thread is broken, and it’s hard to go with the flow of the story. Certain people at the studio had problems with certain parts of it, and ultimately the studio is the final say in those movies because they’re the tentpoles, so you have to answer to those people.

In other news, if anyone's looking for Sony Pictures, they'll be hanging out under a bus.

 

Behold the New Batmobile from ‘Batman v Superman’

Back in May, when Batman v Superman director Zack Snyder tweeted a mere glimpse of the Batmobile, the internet went into minor frenzy. And it wasn't just because that was the very first image released from the set of the highly anticipated superhero flick. It was also because comic books geeks have always fetishized Batman's many vehicles, gadgets, and gizmos, and chief among them is the Batmobile.

That being the case, I imagine a few hundred geeks died of heart attacks last night when the first full, detailed images of the new Batmobile hit the web.

The pics in question were snapped by somebody on the set of Batman v Superman during a recent night shoot at the Russell Industrial Center in Detroit:

With the cat out of the bag, Snyder tweeted out what he called a "real" pic of the new Batmobile a few hours later:

Not sure why the Batmobile is brown in the set photos and black in the publicity still, but it looks to me like their goal was to keep some of the tank aesthetic from the Dark Knight trilogy's Tumbler while making it a bit more sporty.

Grade: A+

’23 Jump Street’ Is in the Works, Obviously

Sony may have a tough time figuring out what the hell to do with their floundering The Amazing Spider-Man franchise, but when it comes to Jump Street it's a no-brainer.

The original 21 Jump Street raked in $201.5 million worldwide on a $42 million budget, while this summer's sequel, 22 Jump Street raked in $319.6 million on a $65 million budget. So 23 Jump Street? Duh, of course.

Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill are coming back, and 22 Jump Street co-writer Rodney Rothman has been hired to write the script for the threequel. However, we don't yet know who will direct.

Phil Lord and Christopher Miller directed the first two instalments—as well as Lego Movie—and according to Deadline, the job is theirs if they want it. But that's a big if, since they've been pretty damn busy for the last few years. So for now they've only signed on as producers.

Regardless of who winds up in the director's chair, don't be surprised if Sony greenlights 24 Jump Street before they even start filming 23 Jump Street. That's the way Hollywood is rolling these days.

Always Helpful Bill Murray Offers His Suggestions for an All-Female Cast of ‘Ghostbusters 3′

As you may recall, they're still pushing ahead with the mythical Ghostbusters 3, even though Harold Ramis has passed away and the great Bill Murray wants absolutely nothing to do it.

How are they doing this, you ask? By making it Ghostbusters reboot, of course. For a while now the rumor has been that new ragtag gang of scientific misfits—quite possibly from Columbia University, just like the originals—will take up the Ghostbusting cause and become the new Ghostbusters. And now there's a new rumor that that Sony is strongly considering making the new crew all-female.

Of course, the internet has a lot of strong opinions about the possibility of an all-female Ghostbusters, both for and against. But honestly, who really cares what the internet thinks? Wouldn't you rather know what Bill Murray thinks? Because I would, and it just so happens that he told the Toronto Star what he thinks this week at the Toronto International Film Festival.

"I’m fine with it,” he said. “I would go to that movie, and they’d probably have better outfits, too."

He didn't stop there, either. Murray also suggested four women he'd like to see strap on the proton packs.

Melissa (McCarthy) would be a spectacular Ghostbuster. And Kristen Wiig is so funny — God, she’s funny! I like this girl Linda Cardellini a lot. And Emma Stone is funny. There are some funny girls out there.”

So there you have it. There's no point doing anything other than this now, is there? Sony just needs to listen to Bill Murray.