30 Rock comes to a close tonight with an hour-long two-parter that wraps up the behind-the-scenes show after seven years on NBC. When the show first premiered on the Peacock back in the fall of 2006, it arrived along with another show about the behind-the-scenes shenanigans of a late-night sketch comedy show. That program, an hour-long dramedy called Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip was from the mind of Aaron Sorkin, hot off The West Wing and early buzz was steaming hot for his show, with very little attention being paid to that SNL writer's little sitcom. Studio 60 barely survived one season, while six years later Tina Fey is a household name, Alec Baldwin has his career back and Tracy Morgan can afford and survive organ transplants and making offensive jokes in his stand-up act without batting an eye to public outcry.
But all good things come to an end, and as we say goodbye to the cast and crew of TGS, we remember it with 10 Unintended Consequences of 30 Rock:
10. Being a 'Liz Lemon' became a type for girls to call themselves on dating sites.
9. Allowed humanity to watch Alec Baldwin slowly morph from looking like Daniel Baldwin to Billy Baldwin over seven years.
8. Showed the world that Jon Hamm is actually an incredibly funny actor with his hair down.
7. It kept Alec Baldwin in New York an additional 7 years, leading to many photographers being battered and punched.
6. Gave us the opportunity to hear newscaster Brian Williams utter the words, 'Look honey, you have a dynamite shape, but you're gonna have to shut up and let a man tell us what's happening. Now, is your father or a policeman nearby?'
5. Now socially acceptable to wear a tux anytime after six since you're not a farmer.
4. The 'trucker hats with nonsense phrases written on them' fashion phenomenon has been mocked enough to finally drive it into the ground.
3. The easiest way to describe the Jay Leno/Conan feud is apparently through the metaphor of janitor's trying to pick up the most trash during their late-night shift.
2. Wesley Snipes got to be on television again on a network that wasn't Court TV.
1. You now know you want to go to there.